Saturday, April 26, 2008

Road trip

Last weekend we went for a road trip.

Heading towards Newcastle

Actually the girls did, I was just the chauffeur.

Irritating like a fly

Notice the bar in the mirror? It divides the back screen of the car in halve. Not only is it irritating, but creates a driving hazard. (limits the view of your rear)

Gloomy

The girls went to Port Stephens for a colleague organized excursion. They left Sydney on Friday night and my duty was to pick them up on Saturday.

One of the stops

The journey was estimated to take 2 & 1/2 hrs from Sydney.

Rainbow...

Front view

It cost $30 each for them to catch a ride back. So we figured we'd pool the money to rent a car.

Back view

We chose Toyota Prius - Hybrid for $72 in hopes that our trip wouldn't be ruined by the ever-increasing petrol price.

After 3 hrs

Scenic drive

Although I driving there all alone, I kept alert by talking to myself, blasting the music and bopping along to the tunes.

*** If you saw a madman shaking his head vigorously with the car swerving dangerously from lane to lane along the highway, that's me. Please don't call the cops, I don't have enough points left on my license.

Farms

Inside of the Prius

Finally after 3 hrs, 45 mins & 3 wrong turns, I finally reached my destination.


Let the engines rest

The trip back to civilization was incident-free. The girlfriend kindly offered to drive half of the way back, providing me some reprieve and a chance to rest. 3 hrs later, we landed back in Sydney.

Still full tank!!

After 442km, the fuel gauge was still full. Bow to the king and bid your petrol car goodbye!


Strangely I felt the car consumed more petrol in cruising mode (highway) rather than city driving, unlike your conventional petrol car.

I later realized that when you're on the highway, your foot is on the pedal most of the time and the car runs mostly on gasoline. In the city, whenever your foot is off the pedal, the car continues its course on electric motor.


P/s. The author is clearly delusional when he absent mindedly forgot he pumped $27 worth of petrol to get the milage of 442km. Till this day he still thinks he dropped the $27. Driving alone for long distances is apparently hazardous to one's mental health. Let's hope he recovers soon.


No comments: