Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A day at work

I came into the office today and guess what I saw?

OMFG! What a lousy way to start the day

This rack was empty when I headed home yesterday! I know I had been grumbling about lack of work recently but to have my workload multiple-folded overnight is just over the top.

Just in case you're wondering what those are, I believe the accurate term is "Endoscopes".

Yes that's what I do for a living, I inspect, troubleshoot, dismantle and rebuild Pentax medical endoscopes. Many a time friends have asked what is my line of work, I have explained and explained and explained countless times, but I doubt they really comprehend my clarification.

So what better way than with pictures?

Inside the casing

EPK-1000 Processor

We plug the endoscopes into this processor, which analyzes the input and generates a live image through the monitor.

like so ... That's my hand.

FYI these scopes go into the stomach, duodenum, colon, lungs etc to examine for any abnormalities.


I will not go into details on how to repair the endoscopes but generally it's akin to repairing handphones, radios or any electronics devices.

There's soldering, cutting, wires, lens, and the only difference is all the parts are really really tiny. Certain areas can only to be repaired under a microscope.

my work bench

Back in Singapore, I worked with the same product but I was a "Field & Service" guy instead of an in-house repair guy. Considering how scarce engineering jobs were and still are in Sydney, I was lucky enough to get employed courtesy of a recommendation by my former GM.


I have to get back to work now. *sigh*

Guess what human organ this is?
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Stakhui,

I would like to ask you for help. I want to open and check Pentax video processor EPk-100P (Family gastroenterology ambulance). I want to get with you in contact.

Thank you

Vaclav Poriz
vaclav.poriz&centrum.cz