Thursday, May 22, 2008

Company Dinner @ Oscars


Main entrance

Last week my division had a small gathering at a local drinking hole (Oscar's Lounge Bar) a stone's throw from my office. It takes 5 mins 27 secs to reach there if you're strolling along. 4 mins 15 secs if you hurry.


The Bar

Small but comfy ambience

It is located facing the main street, which is brightly lit. However once you step foot into the lounge, you'll notice the indifference in lighting which was rather disturbing for me, since I have Astigmatism ( 散光 ).

Apart from that, there's nothing distinctive about the deco that stands out from the other bar and lounges.


The crew

I had no idea what the night's agenda is .... I still don't. I suspected someone's leaving soon, but everyone's lips are sealed. ;(


Arghhhh .... I'm burning ....

The service here was slow and appalling. In my opinion, it is a daunting task to find another establishment as horrendous as this. We had to yell for the waiter 2-3 times before we could even get our hands on the menu.

After ordering drinks and entrees, we requested for a wine/cocktail list. "OK" said the waiter. And that was the last we heard from him. He even had the nerve to walk by our table nonchalantly, looking at us in the eye then walking away.

We had to get the list by ourselves from the attending bartender.


Toblerone (5/5)

One of my colleagues ordered this cocktail. It is A Classic, Baileys, Frangelico, Mozart Black blended with Chocolate Sauce, Cream and Honey. It tasted like the alcoholic version of a chocolate sundae.

Everyone voted this as the best cocktail, deservingly so. You've gotta try it to believe how good it is.


Entree - Herbs & Garlic Pizza (3/5)

Kenneth & David (My manager)

Nina, Julieann & Glenn

Richie and Vas

Cabernet Merlot & Shiraz Cabernet

Some of the red wine ordered that night, both are house wines. I'm not really a wine enthusiast but these 2 aren't really up to par with some that I've tasted before.


Oscar Wilde

It is Bombay Sapphire Gin, Absinthe and Midori mixed with citrus. This is the first of both failed cocktails that I ordered that night.

Awful .... I passed it round the table for them to try. Some spat, some puked and the last one just pushed it to the end of the table and asked me to order another one.


Chicken Schnitzel (N/A)

Barramundi Fillet (N/A)

According to both colleagues who went for this, the fish was uncooked in the middle, a probable reason being the fish was frozen and not fresh. Both victims suffered stomach upsets the following day.

Despite the close shave with food poisoning, I felt this dish had the best presentation.


Pork Ribs (N/A)

Oscar's Steak (Medium Rare) with red wine sauce (4/5)

I chose the red wine sauce, expecting a wonderfully fused sauce, mixed with wine produced from fresh vineyards, topped with various herbs and spices.

The end result was no different from the normal mushroom sauce usually matched with steaks. The steak was done just fine, medium rare with slight streaks of blood oozing out of the capillaries when the knife sliced through the meat.

Perfecto!


Sweet Georgia Julep

Consists of Vanilla and Cointreau shaken with apple, lime, mind and topped with ginger. 2nd failed attempt. FYI both these cocktails were under the man drinks, and since I consider myself very much a man's man, I went for the top 2 drinks.

I think I'd stick to Toblerone, which is a girl's drink in the future. I have a tendency to try different varieties of alcohol. Especially cocktails which has a amazingly wide assortment to choose from, varying from country to country, even bar to bar.


Mango Dessert with Ice Cream (4/5)

Salt & Pepper Calamari (5/5)

Don't ask me why the Calamaris is after the dessert. The mouth just felt itchy and needed something to feel the void. ;P

Service bad, food so-so .... only positive feedback is everything's free! Thanks Mr. Kennedy!


Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: