Monday, August 11, 2008

Final Chapter. MACAU TOWER - TOP OF THE WORLD (ALMOST)


To the few of you who actually drop by, this is the last chapter of an overdue story. ;o)


Macau Tower

After sight-seeing around town, we headed to Macau Tower for some adrenaline rush.


Our tickets

At the ground floor we purchased our tickets for the "activities" + the entrance to the tower. We were actually quite dumb because there's a ticket counter upstairs as well.

It's recommended to buy the entrance ticket downstairs and the "activities" ticket upstairs after a preview. That way you can decide if you have the balls for it.


61st Floor

That's 223m of height. The height of the actual tower is 338m. We used a fast speed elevator to ascend to the top. The view as it's going up was quite fascinating.

Check out the video: (Tilt your head to 1 side, my bad my bad)





Top Floor

We arrived circa 5pm and the top floor was literally packed with people. It was buzzing with activity and felt more like a market place than tourist spot.


Jumping platform


Weather was gloomy and wet

It wasn't a good day to be outside facing the elements. Rain hasn't ceased and was still dropping occassionally. ;o(


A bunch of goners

When we arrived, there was a group of american kids preparing for their bungy jump. Yes that's the process of tying a rope around your legs and jumping off a building.

Then if you're not dead (from the fright or the jump) take the elevator back up to write them a cheque for throwing you off the building.

There were 3 siblings who took the plunge together, while their parents watched. (I'll kill my kids if they were to jump together) If by some weird coincidence the rope breaks and they all RIP? Waste my milk powder money.


@$#$%!&$%!# Look how far up we are !!!

My feet shudders everytime I step up to glance down at the many meters of elevation that differenciates us from ground zero.

Yes I have a fear of height. Ever since I first peered over the railings on top of Civic Center and felt the earth shake, I knew I wasn't built for any height related activities.


Awesome power machine

That's suprisingly quite a small scaled equipment considering the immense task & responsibility of supporting a human weight as it plummets down.

At Macau Tower, there are 3 main activities:

  • Skywalk X - MOP $388
  • Skyjump - MOP $688
  • Bungy Jump - MOP $1288

All 3 prices are exclusive of photos and videos + tower entrance. Both will set you back another MOP $300-400. Prices ain't cheap. ;o(


Gearing up

The GF & the housemate decided to go for the Skywalk X, which is simlar to the Sydney Tower walk they recently endulged in. I suspect they're addicted to it.


All ready to go

Simply put, Skywalk X is walking the circumference of the tower, 233 feet off the ground while hanging to a wire rope.

There are no railings, no path & the surface was slippery. A wrong footing or a strong gust of wind would send them plummeting to the ground below.


Just stepped out, taking a view


Walking along


Single leg aeroplane

The girls were accompanied by a guide who doubled as a camera man. He brought them around the circumference of the tower. They were asked to do a series of poses for the photos.


Sitting on the ledge (Look at how small the roads look)

I felt this was the scariest pose. Sitting on the ledge while your legs swing in "nothing-ness". *shudders* It was also drizzling and rather slippery.


Be careful! Don't fall over ....


Hanging by the rope and leaning towards the edge


The return

After about 15-20 mins of adrenaline rush, they finally made it to the finish line. Slightly wet but the view was definitely worth it.


Rather tall it is


Bits of bungy rope for souvenir


Jumpsuits


Show the bungy bear some love


Any regrets?


Strapping in

I was initially all gungho and ready to take on the bungy jump. But I was too chicken the price was too steep. ;o( So I went for the Skyjump instead.

Dictionary:

Skyjump = bungy for pussies. (It's exactly like bungy, cept that you're falling at a controlled rate)


All geared up


He's the guy manning the equipment

The good thing about Macau Tower is that the high adrenaline activities here are runned by AJ Hackett company, and the main personel/s (whom I trust my life with) are angmohs.

No offence to other race but I'm sure you wouldn't want to look at the guy behind the machine and see a KFC eating, kancil-driving malay.


Waiting lounge

I had to wait like forever as they prep the machine. Waiting is really agonizing, take it from me.

There was a guy before me doing the bungy jump who had to wait like 20 mins at the ledge while they prep the machine. Imagine that.


Outside (Taken w their camera)

The scariest bit was the moment they signalled me to the spot, right at the edge of the building. I swear I'd turn and run away like a scaredly kitten if they weren't holding on to me.

I asked, "Can you push me if I don't dare to step over?" He told me not to worry .... WTF NOT TO WORRY????? I'm jumping down a building in a few secs, not walking down the streets.

Miraculously I had to nerve to step off the edge (but with eyes closed). I felt free fall for a few seconds before the rope held my weight. (it was sooooo fucking scary)


Hanging in midair

Next thing I knew, I was hanging in mid air and they shouted for me to look up. I still didn't dare to look down atm. I hung there while he took photos for what felt like an eternity.


Blurry photos

You know what's worst than waiting? Waiting while hanging upside down in mid air at 233m altitude. (For him to take photos)

After he's done, he bade me farwell before releasing the rope..........

Anyways check out the video:





The verdict:

It wasn't as scary as initially anticipated. Partly because it was a controlled drop rather than gravity induced. I imagine it would had been 10x scarier had it been a bungy jump.

The view on the way down was quite mesmerizing and for a moment I actually forgot I was falling off a building. Felt almost like in a descending elevator.

Drawback:

We had to wait like 2-3 hours until we finally jumped, wasted an ample amount of our time. By then, it was rather dark so pictures & videos turned out rather crappy.


Got a free T-shirt


And a certificate


I did it!

So I was immensely proud of myself, eventhough I chickend out on the Bungy Jump. I instantaneously regretted it when I was falling down because

  • Skyjump is not cheap either.
  • It wasn't as scary as I assumed.

So that's basically the end of our HK, Macau, Bangkok, Chiangmai trip. We headed back to Kuching for some R&R (1 week) + prep for the wedding next year.

Adios.


Technorati Tags: , , , ,

No comments: