Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sushi Chronicles Part 1


Tuesday nights are always the busiest. There's a promotion going on where every plate goes for only $2.50. The line of customers waiting to get their tummy filled never ceases till late at night.

I was making my rounds, taking orders and filling up their cups of water when I noticed the 3 girls making their way into the shop. They had "tudungs"(head scarfs) that covered their precious heads from the prying eyes of the XY chromosomes. I was sure that they're malaysian malays by their dress code & speech. (plus I asked them)

Initially I didn't pay much attention to them. I resumed my usual activities around the store until one of them signalled me over.

"Can I have that?" (while pointing at the table)
I starred at the table, then back at her.
"I'm sorry?"
"That one", she continued.
"Fuck, what does she mean?" I thought to myself.
Realizing that I'm not getting the drift, she said, "That one .... the plate ... to put the sauce."
"Oh, okay... I'll pass some saucers to you."

So they were all merry and cheerful for half an hour while they dined, then another girl signalled me over.

"Excuse me, but what is this?" (pointing to 2 gyozas that were originally sets of 3)
"That would be pork, miss." (Then it hit me, OMG she just had pork!)
".............." (Her face went totally blank)
(Regains composure after 5 secs) "Cann...I... please have a .... glass of water?"

For those who don't get it, malays (muslims) are prohibited from consuming pork. In certain parts of Malaysia, the muslim cashiers at the supermarkets wrap their hands with plastic bags when attending to customers purchasing luncheon meat.

Anyway, I know I shouldn't be laughing at her misfortune but I found it quite amusing. I'm totally against prohibitions by religions. Be it constraint against food, or touching animals, etc etc. What's the big point about consuming pork? Will they transform into bad muslims that fall in the same league as murderers and rapist and such? That's utter B.S.

Besides, "Those who do it unknowingly is not at fault" (chinese proverb). haha She is probably one of the lucky muslims who will ever got to taste pork.


Technorati Tags:

No comments: